Travelling With Your Pet

The steps you must follow

What you need to do if you're entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries...

It is now possible to take your animal abroad and back to the UK, when travelling on holiday or working abroad. This is made possible by the Pet Passport Scheme.

If you travel abroad, e.g. the South of France or Spain, your animal is at risk of picking up a tropical disease. As curing a tropical disease is not always possible, prevention is very important.


The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) started on 28 February 2000. It allows dogs and cats (resident in the UK) to visit EU member states and approved non-Euro countries and return to the UK without the need for quarantine, provided they meet the following conditions:

  • 1. Microchip
  • 2. Vaccinations
  • 3. Documentation
  • 4. Tapeworm Treatment
  • 5. Research

1. Microchip

Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so they can be properly identified.

2. Vaccinations

After the microchip has been fitted, your pet must be vaccinated against Rabies. There is no exemption to this requirement, even if your pet has a current Rabies vaccination. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided Rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts, the 21 day wait will commence from the date of the second vaccination.

3. Documentation

Animal Health Certificates

After you have booked your flight, please contact us to arrange an appointment for an AHC.

UK passports are no longer valid for travel in the EU.

AHC needs to be issued 10days before travelling.

The patient needs to be vaccinated against Rabies (animals must be 12 weeks or older to have a rabies vaccine).

We will need proof of rabies vaccination ( if you are NOT a client of woodland vet centre).

Please note the AHC is NOT issued on the day of the appointment. This allows the vet to complete and double check all paper work. This is why we ask for the appointment to be book for several days before your holiday.

If the patient does have an EU passport, it CAN travel without an AHC.

UK vets are NOT allowed to update EU passports, so if the rabies vaccination has expired, a UK vet can give the vaccination BUT the patient will require an AHC.

If you are a frequent traveller, we would advise to get your pet's rabies vaccine booster whilst you are in the EU. The EU vet can update the passport therefore a AHC will NOT be required. 

Any further questions please contact us.

4. Tapeworm Treatment

Dogs only

Before entering the UK, all pet dogs (including assistance dogs) must be treated for tapeworm. The treatment must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before their scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland or Malta.

5. Research

Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route - they must enter the UK from a listed country or territory, travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

We recommend that you find out the local conditions in your destination country, especially if you'll be there for some time, as the risk level of tropical diseases can vary widely from region to region.

Please ask us for a tailored parasite control programme.

For any further information or advice, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Alternatively, you can now book an appointment online.